Saturday, November 3, 2007

OS X Leopard - Incompatibilities

I'm an early-upgrader to Leopard. After a week I'm digging it quite a bit. This is my small list of bitches in a otherwise pretty nice OS. I think a lot of the inconsistencies with the Java-based programs has to do with Apple's new GUI rendering. I don't know much more about it but I'm guessing that it broke (well damaged) a lot of SWT and Swing widgets. Mostly I'm posting these in case somebody else is running into the same issues:

  • Intellij - Works but now the UI is unstable. Switching tabs don't always work and a few other creeks and groans. I use this every day so it is a bit painful.

  • Popcorn 3 - Bought this last week for my iPhone so I could scale down movies and move them over. This won't even start up. Funny thing is Popcorn 1 still works fine. Roxio has a message on their site that a fix is forthcoming.

  • TextMate - Breaking Input Managers was an issue from day one. There is a work-around for the "edit in textmate" bug that works well but it is slightly kludgy.


I don't entirely blame Apple, seems to me if you are a maker of Apple software you'd do some work with the pre-releases to ensure your software still works with the upgrade.

No comments: